Monday, November 2, 2015

"Mahal ko si Toyang" - When I Fell in Love with Valeen Montenegro

This is Toyang


also known as Valeen Montenegro



@valeentawak in her social media accounts

and when she caught my attention at Sunday PinaSaya, a Sunday noontime show at GMA,


I didn't realize that she was THE Valeen Montenegro from FHM 100 Sexiest of 2015





The first time I watched Sunday PinaSaya at GMA was because I want to watch Alden Richards. Then in their Kantaserye, one segment of the show that features a sort of musical comedy,  I noticed a fresh face in GMA. There is this girl named 'Toyang' (taken from a popular song of Eraserheads) wearing skimpy denim shorts and a crop top. I looked at her closely and thought of Nicole Kidman. 
Yeah, like Nicole Kidman in a Batman movie.






or a Nicole Kidman as Satine in Moulin Rogue




 or Naomi Watts as Ann Darrow in King Kong






We're you able to spot the difference?

I bet you would agree that this 'Toyang' is a head turner even with more clothes on. She's something. An eye candy at first glance. But wait, there's more!

As I was saying, this Toyang is played by a Valeen Montenegro. Since I'm not a TV person and if ever I watch TV, GMA is my only channel, so I don't really know her. She plays the role of a desperate belle in pursuit of Rico's (Jerald Napoles) affection. In the turn of events, I figured out that she became a panakip-butas or a mere replacement of a girlfriend who left for abroad.

Shots fired thru me. That was a personal and universal kind of role. Too much feels. Then on, I look forward to what would happen with Toyang.

On that same episode, after she accepted the marriage proposal of Rico, Ligaya (Julie Anne San Jose) who is the former girlfriend of Rico came back. That moment when Rico was carrying her as if they were married, right after she said yes to the proposal, Ligaya entered the scene and Rico literally dropped her like a hot potato. Poor Toyang.

There was no tear-jerking scene. It was comedy. But when I looked at Toyang's confused face, I felt really sorry. Then I realized she could speak her emotions even without any line.

Episodes of confusion for Rico and song numbers between Toyang and Ligaya happened. I was rooting for Rico and Ligaya that time, for I know that Toyang was pursuing the unrequited kind of affection. Despite that, the episode of the Kasalang Bayan (mass wedding) came where Toyang had her and Rico's name listed. There was this bitter rejection in Rico's face. Lines were exchanged and I felt that tinge of pain in Toyang's words when she returned her engagement ring. That scene nailed it. I cried in a middle of a musical comedy! How many people could actually do that? Credits also for Jerald Napoles' acting. I'm beginning to believe how handsome he is!

Thank goodness Toyang's story ended with finding new love with a brides groom during Eloi (Jose Manalo) and Lady Day's (AiAi Delas Alas) wedding. Then I gave out a sigh of relief. She deserves a new-found love.

Then she transformed.


and transformed


and transformed

and transformed

and transformed
 

 and transformed


And she can even be her great self for a host!




She's more than just a pretty face. Much more than a toned bod. She has talent and she's good at it. Indeed, versatile. She can even be a character actress! And in all her roles, big or small, you could sense her passion. Her transformation in every character, physically and emotionally. She exudes the feel for the role she's portraying. In all the segments in Sunday PinaSaya, she never failed to amuse me. She would be a desperate lass helplessly in love with a boy, she would be a formal-looking assistant to Judge MD, a clueless sexy sidekick of coach Cynthia, an old hag who vie for inheritance, and even an effective event host before Tamang Panahon aired on national TV. Name it, and she'll be it. A total performer. She's not just doing her thing and waiting for people to tell her she's pretty. Her talent is undeniably overcoming how beautiful she is. Keen eyes should take notice.

Toyang may not have ended up with Rico in Kantaserye, but we will always sing "Mahal ko si Toyang..." for all the fans and would-be fans of this fabulous and talented lady. More than a cover girl. More than one of the FHM 100 Sexiest. More than a sexy comedienne. Valeen Montenegro is more than we could ask for. She shouldn't be boxed with sexy, stereotyped roles because she can definitely rock any role! In fact, she will definitely do good in a lead.

Here is for a broader field in her showbiz career! Cheers!

This post wouldn't be the last about Valeen, for I believe that she only needs that break for everyone to take notice of her. Why?

Here's the cycle:
Supporters make producers take notice>>> Producers create exposure>>> Exposure increases possibility of fame thru supporters>>> Fame makes sponsors take notice>>> Sponsorship increases thru supporters>>>then back to producers for more exposure>>>repeat.

Tada! Great opportunities for Valeen!

Did you see where we enter? We are part of the cycle thrice. Then repeat. And so I appeal to all individuals like me who believe in Valeen to support her and her every project! We can do this ValeeNation! Valeenatics!

With much love and support, we will all rally with loud cheers:
"Mahal ka namin Toyang!"



*photo credits to Google images, ValeeNation and Valeenatics