Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Have You Heard Kuneho Rock?


Here's my copy of the EP, signed by my favorite bunnies
and of course, the Bunny shirt!



Have you found yourself hopping with the rhythm of a song? Talk about live performances that bring the hyper kid out of you.That, maybe, is a Kuneho rock you are listening to. Ladies and gents, allow me to introduce to you one of my favorite bands in the indie music scene --- The BennyBunnyBand!

*Kuneho Rock (Bunny Rock) is a tag for the music specifically made by BennyBunnyBand.

Points why I love this band:

Energy
If you have seen them perform live, you would know what I mean. There is this kind of hyper energy, exuded by the stage that seems airborne, and the audience easily catches this feel all throughout the performance. Here's a sample of their song Dear Laarni. Then tell me afterwards if you didn't think of dancing with it. :D




Packaging
I'm not just really talking about the costumes. Though that is one thing I love, too. They can sport any ridiculous costume or go all naked or nearly, and regardless of that, they would deliver the same cool performance. The costume adds to the fun, but it's really more of the performance that makes all the dress-up cool. Another is their name. Benny Giron is the lead vocals who plays the Ukulele and obviously why it's Benny. Sorry for my biases, but I just love figures of speech because I'm an English teacher, so the alliteration of B is so good, I love it. For those who are not familiar with alliteration, that is the repeated consonant sounds employed in order to establish internal rhythm. That is so literary and so musical in my opinion. Also, their EP brought out my frustrations with letters. Really, who doesn't want too receive snail mails in this digital age? There is nothing else more romantic than that. Then marked with Nagmamahal, BennyBunnyBand though there was a last minute cross-out of nagmamahal. Hehe. Love their faces on the stamps. One for the collection.

Humor
We all know how difficult it is to write songs, to perform them and get people to listen to them. How much more to write songs with humor? Their humor reminds me of PNE though they have different sounds. I tip my hat to music makers who can make fun music and not getting the novelty song label. That is one difficult thing to achieve in the kind of music industry we have. On a different note, they may have the humor, kilig, and fun in their music, but they broke my heart in P.S. Laarni. Really, guys. You we're so cruel. I'm going to move on soon. Thank goodness, I'm not Laarni.

Music
So this is the first time I saw a lead vocals using an Ukulele. I didn't even know that it could go well with band performances. I've heard the instrument played many times especially by my students who try to learn it, but I've never imagined it on stage at B-Side Makati for a night gig. That is really amusing for me, so, yo, Benny! You're awesome! The sound of the Ukulele and the unique vocals mark the difference of their music among other indie bands, plus their upbeat Kuneho rock that makes it all jumpy and great to open a gig night, just like what they did during the MilesExperience Album Launch!

By the way, their EP is composed of six tracks:

  • Dear Laarni
  • Ikaw Na (Ang Anghel, bow!)
  • 5-10
  • Pam ToGetHer
  • I'm Coming
  • P.S. Laarni

To get updates and to support the Pinoy Music Scene,
You may follow them on Twitter: @BennyBunnyBand
Like their page on Facebook: BennyBunnyBand

And hey, they're on Spotify! 
Listen to Dear Laarni, Pam ToGetHer and their recently released single on Spotify, 
Forbidden Song No. 2.  



Wondering where Forbidden Song No. 1 is? Here you go. 
Credits to the owner, taken at B-Side Makati during the MilesExperience Album Launch, April 30. 
(Please use your earphones and watch it as how you watch forbidden clips. 
Alam na this! Rated SPG)



No comments:

Post a Comment