Sunday, December 27, 2015

My Bebe Love Movie Review

I watched My Bebe Love movie together with my 7-year-old kid and my 57-year-old mom who are also AlDub fans.They made it a point that we watch on the first day because we were not sure up until when the box-office sales will be counted. I have never watched MMFF on a first day until now, for I expect that people would really flock into the cinemas on Christmas Day. I usually let a week pass to lessen the crowd to deal with. But my mom said that we have a new record to set. Haha! I agreed. I have never seen her this much into show business and it's all because of AlDub. 

The MMFF First Day Experience

My family and I decided to see the film early that day with hope that there would be a short line in ticket booths. But we were wrong. As early as 10 AM, when people are supposed to be hunting Ninongs and Ninangs, there were a lot of people, very much comparable to a mall opening day. We rushed to the ticket booth right away so we could grab tickets, because I feared that the tickets would be sold out before lunch. After a grueling time of painstakingly lining-up to get three tickets, we finally got to take our lunch. Since we got a 1 PM screening, though we lined up at 10 AM, we decided to rush our lunch and line up in front of the cinema 1 hour before our assigned slot; that would be 12 noon. That's what we did. Unfortunately, our expectation of being 'early' for the line was not the way we expected. "Standing Room Only" says the sign. Then I asked the cinema staff, "Kuya may pila na po ba sa My Bebe Love?" Then he answered apologetically, "Ma'am pasensya na po. Hindi na po nagpapapila dahil sa dami ng tao. Pasok na lang po kayo para makakuha po kayo ng upuan." 

I was expecting to stand beside one row of seats while waiting for an hour, to see half of the movie since it's just 12 noon, and to be offered a seat after. And I was wrong again. When we entered the cinema door, my eyes widened as silhouettes of people blocked the entire passage going inside; people were packed---tightly packed. No, you could not excuse yourself and squeeze in. We had no choice but to stand and wait while we're hearing the exchange of lines in the movie. After a few minutes, the space behind us was equally packed tightly with waiting moviegoers. I felt so trapped. Nevertheless, we stick with the plan. I have to find a way to get seats for my mom and my kid.

When we heard the bloopers coming, people started moving. We are like drift wood flowing with the waves of people. I had to carry my daughter so people won't step on her, and I've asked my mom to hold me tight and stay behind me. It was like a street rally. The people don't know how to move out while others are moving in. Since the security personnel can no longer squeeze themselves in, several concerned persons shouted: "Keep right! Para makalabas sila." It was like a magic word that people on the right side allowed those who are on the left side to squeeze in so they could give way to those moving out. People had been very nice enough looking after the children and the elderly. I even saw one PWD with crutches who was ushered by a stranger so that he could move ahead, "Saglit, paunahin nyo si kuya." Facing the guy, "Kuya, una ka na po." In a time that I felt we would be crushed with the number of people, everyone had been very nice. Everyone wanted to fairly share a space in the cinema just to see the movie. Thank you AlDub Nation for helping me find seats for my kid and my mom. All love to you. 

When we are finally seated, still, people kept coming in. They occupied the stairs, the landing area of the balcony part, the space behind the seats of the orchestra part, even the sides of the rows. It's a jam-packed movie house. And we knew that everyone held their breath when the film began, just as my kid held my arm and said, "Mommy, ayan na!"

The Movie
I told myself to lessen the usual expectations that I have in my common movie experience. "Jem, this is MMFF. You know the game." I made a mental note of the things to consider before watching the movie:

1. Remember the trailer and the expectation it sets. The trailer had been very clear of what we should expect: fun and kilig-filled moments. Nothing more, nothing less.
2. Remember that the movie preparation is younger than AlDub itself. It was not expected that AlDub would be part of this, so they overhauled the storyline and officially began only last August. Thus, preps were time-constraint.
3. You are going to watch a feel-good rom-com movie and not an academy awards entry. You just need to feel the good vibes and the romance.

These things made me appreciate the movie so much and allow me to enumerate my observations:

(SPOILER ALERT: Don't read if you haven't watched the film.)

The movie opened with Vito Carillo (Vic Sotto) in a wedding photo with a pretty woman who is supposed to be the deceased mother of Anna Carillo (Maine Mendoza). With Sotto in front of a mirror, I couldn't deny that despite his age, he is still charming. Then, a confrontation between a father and a stubborn daughter hit the ground running. The litany of a too-concerned father and the struggle of a newly-grad when she has to work in her father's company. It was a great start. The scene even ended with Mendoza mocking Sotto's words. It's as if I'm not watching a comedy film. The atmosphere between the two was so stern. Then the mood changed right away with Corazon Tala-Tala (Ai-Ai Delas Alas) and Dondi (Alden Richards) were flashed on screen. It was like Delas Alas brought the fun even just with her character, while Richards, though in a different handsome packaging, charmed the audience. It was a balance of what to expect all-throughout the film: A conflict that will drive the plot, and the much anticipated fun and romance.

The Characters
 
Let's talk about Vic Sotto first. I thought that my thing for formal-looking professionals made me find Sotto charming in the opening of the movie. But as the movie goes on, I realized that it was because he is playing a role of a serious businessman who looks stiff and domineering. He is not the usual wacky character that he had been playing. He's a strict boss to Valeen Montenegro, as stern as he is with his daughter. Given that he is a widower, with a spoiled-brat for a kid, I definitely think the portrayal was near reality. The only time that he showed his wacky side was with his scene with a friend played by Joey De Leon. It was a "for the boys" usual conversation and ended up with fun for pun. Then another comic face when he was watching Delas Alas sing on stage, on top of her lungs. The rest of his scenes were serious and his lines go along well with his character. The jokes were no longer the slapstick-hitting-someone-hard-kind of comedy, but sarcasm. His character is limited to throw comedy through irony and on point punch lines. Every time Sotto argues with Delas Alas on different scenes, he consistently taunts her with his arrogance and sarcastic remarks. With the easily-pissed character of Delas Alas, the scene becomes not just a comedy, but a cliche of a blooming love affair out of conflict. Plus, Sotto reminds me of that one class bully that we secretly have a crush on. That guy who teases us until we don't have a choice but walk away. The attention they give slowly sinks in and tada! You got that childhood crush. Oh, come on! Witty bad boys were charming. What amused me most was his scene in front of his jigsaw puzzle, blankly staring at the pieces, figuring out how to put things together, literally and emotionally when he lost the two dear women in his life. That was a brief moment, but it really strikes me most. I hope Sotto could be given serious roles and make me cry one day. The biggest challenge for a comedian is to make your audience take you seriously and cry in your breaking moments. With what I've seen, I can definitely expect something like that from The Vic Sotto.

Next is Ai-Ai Delas Alas. The comedy queen made me laugh hard for a lot of times while watching. Maybe because of her 'bakya' character as Cora, or the very relational feeling of a woman who could be considered an old maid and no longer interested with love---a usual defense mechanism of women gravely hurt previously. Her confidence and ill temper made her a very typical old maid, so when she started expecting something to develop between her and Sotto, there is this sigh of relief and celebration for her new chance at love. I personally felt happy for her character and laughed at her silly moments that women usually encounter when we are into a guy. Notably, it was almost the same kilig moments of Maine Mendoza, which goes to show that romance does not change with age. That butterfly in your tummy would still be the same feeling even if you have grown older. The highlight of Delas Alas' acting for me was when she asked Richards how long he would need to study the course abroad. That moment when two years was mentioned and she turned her back against Richards, there was a sudden shift of emotion. Without a line---again, without a line---she made me understand her struggle to send him away through her facial expression, upon knowing that her beloved nephew would be away that long. The separation anxiety that almost all Filipinos know. That made me pause and thank Delas Alas for that brief touching moment. Had she talked, she could have made me cry.

Alden Richards started as the typical boy-next-door, which reminds me of his Alakdana days. The shy and gentle Dondi who stutters while introducing himself to a girl, who is overpowered by women, both Delas Alas and Mendoza, in the scenes. He was this push over of a nephew, a scared lot in front of his Aunt Cora, and a firm believer of destiny. Despite his weak character as a nephew, Dondi was a persistent admirer and a very charming one. He was a quiet boy until Anna came and turned his world upside down. He became conscious of how he looks, trying to impress a girl he likes, and quickly made all kilig-moments rolling with his girl. That is a cliche of men that no one can deny. I could say that his effect as Alden Richards was very much alike with Dondi's despite the different image he portrayed. Most likely, it would be the part of him as Richard Faulkerson Jr. Just as how Johnny Depp would say it, there is always a part of the actor that is present in all his roles. Whatever charm Richards has that transcends roles whenever he is with Mendoza, let's leave it to the phenomenon.

Maine Mendoza was amazing. Now, I don't know who resembles the real Maine Mendoza: Yaya Dub or Anna Carillo? She just changed masks. An overly confident, picky, spoiled-brat who stubbornly gets whatever she wants. I almost hated her because of her rude gestures of eye-rolling and that moment she argued when she conceitedly believes that her mom is so beautiful that she belittles Delas Alas in the process. I had to remind myself that I love Maine Mendoza. Hahaha! Anna is also a glamorous girl who can charm any guy who passes by. The way she did charm Dondi was very effective. She was that brat who can sway you into doing what she dearly wants. That kind of charm. She had been consistent with her character all throughout the film. That would be Anna, who is very not-Yaya-Dub. And I think that is the best test of talent in acting: the ability to wear faces that you've never worn before, and change them when the need arises. Mendoza doesn't only have a million facial expressions, but she would definitely portray millions of faces that I am confident she would slay.

What made me remember Kalyeserye in the movie were some scenes between Mendoza and Richards:
  •  (Bulaga Pa More Finals-AlDub's first face to face meeting, with the wall and the kidnapping scene) Their first meeting in the movie. In a parking area. Turning their backs when the other was looking his/her way. With two vans. Maine peeking into the window. Looking into each others' eyes for the first time. 
  • (Alden's Akyat-Ligaw in the Explorers' Mansion) First date. The ketchup instead of cake. The holding of hands.
  • The almost kiss. - In all almost kisses they had in KS and TVCs
Despite all the good words I have for the artists, I have several reservations:
There were awkward moments for me as a parent. One is the conversation between Sotto and De Leon about his capacity to perform in bed. With my daughter clueless on what they were talking about, it was expected that she asked. And I found it difficult to explain as much as I find it uneasy to discuss as a woman about what these men are talking about. The punchline was good, but explaining it is a different story. The fact that you can take out the scene and the storyline won't be changed made me even frustrated. They could have considered the many kids who would be watching AlDub, one because kids love AlDub, two, because kids are rich on Christmas Day so they would definitely watch the film. Another awkward moment was the lengthy time given for Sotto and Delas Alas to exchange lines with their struggle initiating a bed scene. It could have been as wholesome as the scene under the tree, both tipsy, and an almost kiss. Cut. Then they woke up in bed. That would be less frustrating than what happened when my kid started asking again. Oh, another is when Delas Alas was walking with parted thighs. She could have held her back while walking and that would save me from, "Bakit ganon sya maglakad, Mommy?" Yes, it was rated PG, but a movie house is not a good place for sex education. I could not make my kid understand things while we're trying to enjoy the show. And sex is something I should discuss carefully with my daughter.

Next are the scenes that are too short to cultivate and develop the characters. Exchange of lines definitely make characters notable, so given the brief scenes provides less chances of a better portrayal of characters. This is why others would feel that the movie was rushed; because the scenes are fast-paced. They could have omitted several scenes that wouldn't affect the storyline. Maybe this is also affected by the exposure of side characters which are not necessary for the plot. Also, this might have been affected by the many endorsements within the film. I would like to laud this film for being discreet with the endorsements (unlike with the previous MMFF entries) though they are many, at least they were not part of the script. That was what I was thinking until the detergent commercial of Sotto serves as an intermission. Ugh. Can we just have the endorsements after the film? I bet these brands had already had their sales increase with the support of AlDub Nation even before the film. Maybe we can give the exposure to the artists instead.

Lastly, some problems were lightly dealt with such as: 
Anna's attitude problem - it was not definite what changed her mind in the end, and all those mischief went off unrebuked.
The hook up incident between Delas Alas and Sotto became a 'start' of a romantic mood which should not be the case. (Ok, ako na si Lola Nidora) The incident was not the problem of Richards and Mendoza. It was the mom-replacement issue that is their problem. The hook up was left hanging.

In the end, my expectations of My Bebe Love were met. It was filled with laughter and kilig, a celebration of life and love, and a reminder that it's never too late or too difficult to fall in love. These and all the giggles of my family are enough for me to give this movie a thumbs up. And I dream that Richards and Mendoza would be given more opportunities to explore more challenging roles.

No comments:

Post a Comment